Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1263938415

Subject: Re: [TGF] Research and Analysis Standards [was Client Researcu CGvs AG]
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:00:15 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2010 11:21:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, Larry wrote:

>But Donn, do you think the BCG standards are the only appropriate (or
worse, absolute) descriptions of research methods in genealogical research?

Larry, they represent the only compilation I know of that is widely
available and suitable for reference in a contract. If there are other formulations
that could be referenced (so they need not be quoted at length), I'd like
to become aware of them.

>Do you think the GPS serves any useful purpose other than as a slightly
flawed guide to research?

It has for me, even if you consider the imprecise "reasonably exhaustive"
to be a flaw. Its usefulness to me, especially as it has been elucidated by
Tom Jones, has been to define an acceptable initial stopping point for
research. Analysis and writing may still reveal a need for further research, but
at least the GPS provides a basis for initially ending research and
concentrating on analysis, for those of us who might otherwise be inclined to keep
searching until the evidence provides greater certitude.

> If we could discuss this without things getting unpleasant, I'd be
pleased to do so, but it usually it doesn't turn out that way in the end.

Larry, let's give it a try. If it gets contentious, I'm willing to drop it,
too.

Donn

This thread: