Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264024530

Subject: Re: [TGF] To codify or not to codify
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:55:30 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "LBoswell" <>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:22:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern

> Such guidelines cannot rise to the level of serving as a Proof Standard, no
> matter how rigorously followed. In other words, saying this research has
> been certified by this standard. That's what we're essentially saying. And
> yet no one mentions to the consumer that there aren't any peer review
> processes ongoing for professionals (beyond the initial certification, if CG
> is acquired). And no one points out that it's a standard that each of us
> applies subjectively to our own research (and wink, wink, really it's just a
> guide to good research, easy for us to remember and apply)

How can the GPS be improved so that it does reach the level you require of it? What do you see needs to be done? A standard wll always be refined, over time. What concrete suggestions do you have now? Can we define "reasonably exhaustive search?" Do we need to define it down to the nth level? (Hopefully not as verbose as Michael's wonderful tongue-in-cheek definition).

As for no review beyond the initial certification by BCG, don't holders of BCG credentials have to go through a renewal process every 5 years or so? Of what does that consist -- can anyone elucidate that?

To me, the GPS is a summation of all that goes on not only between the covers of the BCG Genealogical Standards Manual, but of what goes on in every course I have taken in genealogical methodology and analysis. It's like the response Rabbi Hillel gave to the gentile who demanded, as a conditino of his volunteering to convert to Judaism, that he be taught the entire Torah while standing on one foot. Hillel replied, "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary. Go and study it."

Karen Rhodes
Middleburg, Clay County, Florida

This thread: