Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264520684

From: "Christy Fillerup" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] BCG Standards #3 and 4
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:44:44 -0700

Linda,

My own system is very similar to yours. I work probably 70% with microfilm
at the Family History Library. When I find a document I want I scan the film
target and all pertinent front matter, then the images relevant to my
research. I store these in digital folders on my hard drive and in off site
back up. I use a naming convention that corresponds to my master source
list. I write the master citation and add it to my master source list when I
first view the source--citation elements specific to one document within the
source should be gleanable at any time from the image itself.

I use the manners already discussed to print the citation on the image
itself--but only once I have decided to include it in whatever I'm writing
for distribution. Some images only ever stay in digital format for my own
review--for example all digital images I may use to research an associate of
an ancestor, to determine the connection and apply it to my research plan. I
don't print these, so they only ever are cited by their reference to my
master source list and by the target image in the folder. Once an image is
printed to give to someone else, or electronically prepared for someone
else, then every image gets a citation on the front.

Client research is different. Clients get copies of every image, with the
source citation on the front.

Does that answer your question?

Christy

This thread: