Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264521713

Subject: Re: [TGF] An Ethical Question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:01:53 +0000 (UTC)

September McCarthy wrote:

> This sets the alarm bells going off in my head!

That's the way I felt about it.

> And they will even provide the written review for you. All you have to do is
> post it!

Yeah, don't you love that? Not an option. I won't do that for anyone.

> This is beginning to sound like those scams where all you have to do is
> deposit a check.

Well, either that or a start-up that is desperate to get a bit of recognition.
Either way, I will check them out, but can't do that until the weekend. I'm
the type who, when looking to hire someone to do work around the property, I
check them out six ways from Sunday with the state, the county, and the Better
Business Bureau.

> Did you look at the website yet? Please make sure you have your firewall and
> virus protection set to maximum.

Heehee. You're talking to one whose husband is a certified computer security
professional! I'm armed to the teeth!

Jeannette Daniels wrote:

> Don't change your standards.

<grin> I have no intention of doing so. As a blogger, I
know full well that my credibility will be at stake.

> If you really don't feel good about the site after visiting it,
> let the person that wrote you know that you can't put
> information about the company in your blog.

Well, I did say I would put what I felt about it, warts and all.
Not to bash anyone -- never want to do that, either -- but if
a warning is in order, or if I find it disappointing, I'd say so.

> If you do feel that the site is something worthwhile to your
> blog readers, then write your own critique rather than use
> the canned one sent by the website owner.

Oh, I would never, as I mentioned above, use someone else's canned
content. Again, a matter of credibility. I will definitely write
my own review, if I decide to do it at all.

Mary Douglass wrote:

> In my opinion and take that for what's its worth, this company is
> trying to ride the coat tails of successful, professional genealogists
> to boost their own credibility.

Looks that way. The only thing in their favor right now is that they
made no offer of inducement, financial or in kind. If they had, I
would have told them right off, "No thanks, pal."

Thanks to all who replied, and thereby reinforced my own inclinations in the matter.

Karen Rhodes
Middleburg, Clay County, Florida

This thread: