Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264529412

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Certification vs. education
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:10:12 -0800 (PST)
References: <33c0e.1d06f600.388d1c9f@aol.com><4B5C6A68.8050507@carolina.rr.com><5585892BD4C7406CBC4AF7D31AB1A910@acer511eba12df><012e01ca9d6b$a85191e0$f8f4b5a0$@net><258829.29405.qm@web35906.mail.mud.yahoo.com><018c01ca9de2$9dcd07f0$d96717d0$@net><398042.19854.qm@web35907.mail.mud.yahoo.com><000001ca9e2c$a6a65a30$f3f30e90$@com><F6468471AFAA4EBDB6522774D6FE5832@acer511eba12df><8561C6A07DC74AD8928598F46498DC6A@JackPC>

Jack,

I agree with you.  There should not be a Certification vs education
mentality.  Certification should be based upon education.  This is
how other professions measure their members.  Those who go for
Certification should have certain levels of education before being
allowed to go to sit for the Certification examination.

Genealogy does have the cart before the horse in this regard.  The
current AG program and BCG programs began in the early 1960s.
AGs and CGs do not require even a college diploma before someone
is qualified to sit for the AG examination or to submit a portfolio to
BCG.

Right now, I'm very surprised that the ICAPGEN (AG organization) is
producing textbooks for those applying to use as study materials.  This
does seem like a conflict of interest to me.  NIGS's three year Certificate
program does seem like much more than a simple Certificate and I have
written a personal email to Louise St Denis to see if she can clarify if
I misunderstood her last October when we met.  The NIGS postnominals
certainly appear to me to be something of educational and certificational
worth.  It is not a simple program from my understanding of it.

In the United States, BYU has always been the pioneer of genealogical
education.  HGC and Akamai U are in the process of and are actually
creating degrees (bachelor and masters) for genealogists.  Normally,
the educational component is first and then the certification boards come
second.  BU hopefully will be able to get out of Continuing Ed and
develop something more akin to a degree.  These are all starts along
with NIGS.

Genealogy is on the right track  Once there is a strong genealogical
educational base, I suspect that the current certifications and
accreditations will need to adjust or be replaced by new ones
based upon the standards of other professions.

Jeanette