Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264631929

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Certification vs. education (Was: Usability[wasGenealogyas a discipline])
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:38:49 -0800 (PST)

Tom,

Thanks for the correction.

Jeanette

----- Original Message ----
From: Tom Jones <>
Sent: Wed, January 27, 2010 2:15:16 PM

In the spirit of encouraging clear communication, please note that
"certify" refers to approval of a person's competence and "accredit"
refers to the approval of a board, program, or institution. These
distinctions, which appear in NOCA/NCCA/ICE's glossary, are well
understood in the professional credentialing world. The terms are not
interchangeable in most professional contexts. (Only in genealogy do we
"accredit" individuals, and I believe our usage results from a desire to
distinguish our field's two credentialing organizations.) Nowhere do I
see evidence that NOCA/NCCA/ICE has "certified" anything. All its
literature refers to its accreditation process. If someone were to tell
me this organization or a governmental entity had "certified" a board, I
would question that person's credibility. We communicate more
effectively and professionally when we use terminology correctly and
precisely. End of soapbox. ---- Tom