Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264646631

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Certification vs. education (Was: Usability[wasGenealogyas a discipline])
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:43:51 -0800 (PST)
References: <781634.73277.qm@web59911.mail.ac4.yahoo.com><034301ca9eeb$bcc17a60$36446f20$@net><862167.71500.qm@web35905.mail.mud.yahoo.com><034e01ca9eff$f8a20fe0$e9e62fa0$@net><836370.99105.qm@web35902.mail.mud.yahoo.com><035601ca9f05$f938e9f0$ebaabdd0$@net><921305.71729.qm@web35908.mail.mud.yahoo.com><6CF090C416A3426A9E7536A21846B10C@JackPC><461231.98020.qm@web35904.mail.mud.yahoo.com><A67C30927ECD49C8933BB5542F5AE58A@JackPC><107eefe11001271104t2885f21fn95ecd2b44f3ba258@mail.gmail.com>

Janice,

I wanted to wait awhile before directly answering your email.  Although the BCG has
not currently gone through certfication itself, neither has ICAPGEN or the AG program.
Fulfilling the requirements of each will benefit your genealogical research skills.  Both
are recognized by potential clients as meaning that you personally have passed the
scrutiny of each organization.  There is benefit to you with the consumer.

Also, if you have a degree in genealogy, that is also important to potential clients.  Even
the various certificate programs have meaning to the potential client and also to you in
helping you to hone your genealogical research skills.

I think that the questions you asked are great.  I think that the questions and thoughts of
everyone involved with this thread have been beneficial.  These questions and the thinking that
comes with questioning can only bring improvements to genealogy,

Janice, if BCG certification has been your goal, continue on.  My personal genealogical goal
was to get a degree in genealogy.  I have accomplished that and am a better genealogist for
going forward with my plan.  I would advise you to continue on and enjoy the learning that
goes with fulfilling your goal.  So, the answer to why should you get the BCG certification
depends upon your own personal genealogical goals.  I personally believe that BCG is
missing an opportunity to go through the certification process itself.  I don't agree with Tom
Jones.  I believe that the genealogical profession will need to be properly certified and educated
in the near future.

Jeanette