Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264679794

Subject: Re: [TGF] Official Record Copies
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:56:34 EST

Elizabeth wrote:

> I've also checked Donn Devine's
revision of his chapter, "Evidence Analysis," for the revised edition of
ProGen and don't find specific "guidelines regarding official record
copies." This may well be something we should add. Are you reading this,
Donn?

Here's my take on it, put briefly:

Official record copies--those made and preserved by government recording
offices--are by definition derivative sources, but legally and practically
they are accepted as the equivalent of the originals, and often are the only
available version of the document. Many recording offices now make image
copies, but if the copies were transcribed, they are subject to the same
discrepancies that can arise in any derivative source, and so we must use them with
an awareness of that risk.

Donn

Donn Devine, CG, CGL
Wilmington DE

CG, Certified Genealogist, CGL, and Certified Genealogical Lecturer are
service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used under
license by board certificants after periodic evaluation, and the board name is
registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office.

This thread: