Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264728606

From: Kathy Gunter Sullivan <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Pro Gen Chapter 14 question
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:30:11 -0500

Amy Dunn wrote:
> My problem is I have often ended up just counting the research, including any analysis, towards
> the hours that the client requested. My reports take twice as long to complete
> than the reports [KGS question: research?] to complete. I dislike chargnig for 4 hours of research and
> about six on a report, but if this is what the industry norm is I will go with it.
>
> ... I would prefer not to have to break down my client research and
> keep a record for them as to what was did where, but, the local government is
> nosey!
> [Snipped.]

Amy,

I venture to guess that _every_ genealogist's report requires more time
than the research itself. Why? Because we are compelled to /Iexplain//
the findings, provide //context// of the findings, and //educate// the
client about why these findings accomplish their goals (or sometimes,
unfortunately, do not). These are the abilities that a genealogist
skilled in the records under examination possesses, and are the reason
why a skilled genealogist is needed by a client. Anyone can "find
records." Knowledge of where the records exist (or do not) and
interpretation of those records is why the client needs your valuable
expertise.

Your analysis of the project, your research, and your report of findings
are a package that you provide to the client. You **should not** break
down the hours spent on each segment of the investigation in the
client's report. The client does not need a "research log and time
spent." That data is developed only for your personal business costs
analysis.

Does this help at all?

Kathy

Kathy Gunter Sullivan