Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-01 > 1264946645

Subject: Re: [TGF] TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM Digest, Vol 4, Issue 193
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:04:05 EST

This has been an especially interesting discussion to me. In the past 24
hours, a couple of posters have expressed interest in either an extension of
IGHR at Samford or establishment of a similar institute somewhere else.
Both the Midwest, generally, and Minneapolis-St. Paul, specifically, have
received mention.

As a matter of fact, a small group of genealogists and institutional
representatives is meeting this week to discuss the possibility of a multi-day,
multi-course institute in the Twin Cities in 2011. Fewer than 10 people in
Minnesota have been party to these discussions, so I don't know how
Minnesota popped into the TMG discussion -- it might have come up completely
independently.

While IGHR is an inspiration, we can't imagine either replicating or
replacing IGHR or SLIG. That said, we have outstanding genealogical resources
in the Twin Cities and potential for some strong institutional partners. I
can say nothing more at this point because we are in the earliest stages of
exploring this idea. If this progresses past the idea stage, I expect
that we will be reaching out to our Midwestern neighbors to help us plan. If
you have questions about what we are doing, I'd prefer you contact me
directly rather than post questions on the list.

Jay Fonkert, CG
_http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/_
(http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/)
Saint Paul, MN

Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
(professional profile at _www.apgen.org)_ (http://www.apgen.org)/)
Member, Genealogical Speakers Guild
(professional profile at _http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/)_
(http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/))

CG (Certified Genealogist) is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic competency evaluations.

Message: 1