Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-03 > 1267640702

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] FW: Degrees of Professionality?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:25:02 -0800 (PST)

Michele,

Degrees have always held more clout when applying for jobs. Some jobs won't take
a self-trained person regardless of how good he works or how knowledgeable he is.

The knowledge that a good genealogical research degree gives students is experience
in researching different situations for whatever the research specialties are that the student
choose to study. That student is ready before graduation to tackle any research situation or
knows where to go to ask for guidance.

Current BCG or AG certification/accreditation have not been written with the genealogically
research trained applicant in mind. So, right now, there would have to be major changes.

Again, there is the problem that neither board has gone through an actual certification or
accreditation process itself, and therefore might not have all necessary components in its
own program to qualify for those.

Jeanette