Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-04 > 1272569673

From: Rondina Muncy <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] BCG Standard #50 and #51 (lineage, pedigree,and genealogy compilations)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:34:33 -0500

Jillaine,

Here are the previous standards that I believe are applicable to
compilations:

(Genealogical Proof Standard b): We collect and include in our compilation a
complete, accurate citation to the source or sources of each item of
information we use;

(Genealogical Proof Standard e): We arrive at a soundly reasoned, coherently
written conclusion.

*The GPS is the method by which we arrive at our conclusions, not the
end-product of our investigation. The conclusions we draw may be published
as a case study, report, lineage, pedigree or genealogy.*

41. Reports include correct interpretation of the findings-- sufficient and
accurate pertinent discussion...

43: Reports provide well-reasoned conclusions that include sufficient
discussion.. correct placement... accurate reflection of relevant background
data.

*Applies to reports only.*

Rondina, please know that part of my interest is to simplify these
standards-- especially this last batch. Whether a "research report," "proof
summary" or "genealogical compilation" (etc.), these all fall under a
broader category of reporting research results in a written form. Seems to
me that standards should apply to all written forms.

*There may be a good reason that the standards are broken down into sections
that we are not aware of. Since we are talking about standards that apply
not only to genealogical research in the broad sense, but in particular what
is required by the BCG, they may have been written this way so there are no
loop holes.*

Then, if you want to have a separate section that *defines* each type of
written form, that's fine.
_______________________
Rondina P. Muncy
Ancestral Analysis
2960 Trail Lake Drive
Grapevine, Texas 76051
817.481.5902

www.ancestralanalysis.com

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Jillaine Smith <>wrote:

> At 9:59 AM -0500 4/29/10, Rondina Muncy wrote:
>
> Without standards 50 and 51, all you have for lineage, pedigree and
> genealogical compilations up to this point is descriptive text. I'm not
> going to assume that another person knows to meet these standards. How many
> genealogies have you looked at that only provide the vitals? How many are
> not sourced? (See no. 53.) Without these standards* addressing
> compilations specifically*, what do we have to stand on? Absolutely
> nothing. You may believe that information is being repeated ad nauseum, but
> it is being repeated within the context of the sub-headings of 'Research
> Standards'---a necessity.
>

> Here are the previous standards that I believe are applicable to
> compilations:
>
> (Genealogical Proof Standard b): We collect and include in our compilation
> a complete, accurate citation to the source or sources of each item of
> information we use;
>
> (Genealogical Proof Standard e): We arrive at a soundly reasoned,
> coherently written conclusion.
>
> 41. Reports include correct interpretation of the findings-- sufficient and
> accurate pertinent discussion...
>
> 43: Reports provide well-reasoned conclusions that include sufficient
> discussion.. correct placement... accurate reflection of relevant background
> data.
>
> Rondina, please know that part of my interest is to simplify these
> standards-- especially this last batch. Whether a "research report," "proof
> summary" or "genealogical compilation" (etc.), these all fall under a
> broader category of reporting research results in a written form. Seems to
> me that standards should apply to all written forms.
>
> Then, if you want to have a separate section that *defines* each type of
> written form, that's fine.
>
> --

> Jillaine Smith - Bethesda, Maryland
> www.jillainesmith.com (professional)
> www.werelate.org/wiki/User:jillaine (collaborative research)
> freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jillaine (personal research)

This thread: