Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-05 > 1274288071

From: Connie Sheets <>
Subject: [TGF] Publishing Online: What Do You Do and Why?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 09:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

This is, in some ways, a follow-up to the discussions last week about word processing vs databases, figuring out what to do with my old notes and copies, etc.  It dawned on me that as part of my planning I need to have a clearer picture of how I wish to "publish" my stuff.  In an ideal world, I'd write a lot of books, have several articles published in NGSQ, etc., but that isn't going to happen.  I have a tentative plan for what will happen to my paper files, but I would like to have a more specific plan for publishing online.

What method have you chosen for publishing your family history online and why? What are the pros and cons of your choice?

Generic web page?

Blog?

TNG?

Rootsweb Worldconnect?

Genealogy software generated web page?

WeRelate?

PDF narrative files linked to a web page?

Something else I've not thought of? (I will not use Ancestry Public Trees or other paid database sites).

Is there software that provides for proper footnoting and source citation on a blog or other web-page? I've hand-coded web pages in the distant past, to include superscripting so that I have what appear to be footnotes, but I'd prefer to avoid that laborious task.

Thanks!

Connie Sheets
Arizona

This thread: