Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-05 > 1274746794

From: Patti Hobbs <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Social Commentary from beyond the grave
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 19:19:54 -0500

I guess I just don't want to drop this thread yet.:-) I think people very
much knew how dangerous smallpox was. And even though I gave those
statistics from the book which showed that 15% died who got the disease vs
2% who got the innoculation, to get one is beyond one's control, but to get
the other (the innoculation) is a conscious decision. We can't just compare
those two rates and directly compare them because we don't know how many of
those who got innoculated would have gotten the disease or not. I don't know
how widespread the knowledge was about those statistical rates. They didn't
have TV or the Internet.:-)

You know that you will get the disease if you get innoculated; whereas, you
may not catch smallpox at all -- especially if you do things to avoid
contact. I think I can relate to the difficulty in making the decision. Even
given the facts and assuming their correctness, how many of us still don't
do what we should do or do what we shouldn't do?

I knew someone whose life was saved in a car accident because he/she wasn't
wearing a seat belt. How many people do you know that make decisions based
on the anecdotal evidence of those around them? I do (know people) and I do
(make decisions based on the experiences of those I trust).

Statistical evidence and everyday reality don't always correspond.

Patti