Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-07 > 1278779409

From: <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Placement of Note numbers
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:30:09 -0500

Lisa wrote:
>I am still working on my narrative family history and I appreciate all the
help I received previously about the use of names.
>I am now puzzled about placement of the note numbers (I'm using endnotes).
I understand where to physically place the superscript number (end of clause
or end of sentence). However, if additional sentences also refer to the
same reference, do I place the note number after all of the sentences
pertaining to it? Then that would make the next sentences pertain to the
next reference?
>For example, an obit will have information about the funeral services as
well as the burial information. Or a marriage certificate also has
information about where the bride and groom lived.

Lisa, the classical rule is to place a reference note at the end of the
information that came from that source. If anything after that does not
carry a citation, then it is deemed to come from some unidentified source.*

Beyond this, genealogy differs from some other disciplines where the
practice is to place the reference note at the end of a paragraph and then
cite all sources used for that paragraph. In those disciplines, references
almost never are found in the middle of a sentence, unless, perhaps, a
specific quotation is involved.

In genealogy, the recommended practice is to follow the 'classical rule'
precisely--i.e., to put the reference note exactly at the end of the
information that comes from the source we are citing. If part of the
information in a sentence comes from one source and part comes from a
different source, each part of that sentence is referenced separately. If
part of the information in a sentence comes from a source and part is our
interpretation, addition, or whatever, then the reference note specifically
flags what came from the source; we would not put it at the end of a
sentence where it might leave the impression that our
interpretation/whatever also appeared in that source.

*See follow-up message.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
The Evidence series