Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-07 > 1278784427

From: Rondina Muncy <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Placement of Note numbers
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:53:47 -0500

Elizabeth,

I'm torn about this. Although I have always followed the rule that the
citation should be placed at the point in the sentence where the information
is stated, I got a very different opinion from Tom Jones this last spring.
He stated that all citations should come at the end of the sentence. In my
opinion, he would take the citations and divide the information up. For
example, if all information stated in a sentence (let's just stick with one
sentence here, so not to confuse issues) was provided from a death
certificate and grave marker, they would be cited at the end of the
sentence. Conflicting or additional information would be added in separate
sentence/s within that citation. For example: "For place of birth see ...."

His point was that he did not like citations in the middle of sentences. He
could be referring solely to how he likes them in the "Q." I'm in limbo on
this issue. Not a good place to be.

I did not see a follow up message, but it may have been sent privately to
Lisa.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Rondina

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:30 AM, <> wrote:

> Lisa, the classical rule is to place a reference note at the end of the
> information that came from that source. If anything after that does not
> carry a citation, then it is deemed to come from some unidentified source.*
>
> Beyond this, genealogy differs from some other disciplines where the
> practice is to place the reference note at the end of a paragraph and then
> cite all sources used for that paragraph. In those disciplines, references
> almost never are found in the middle of a sentence, unless, perhaps, a
> specific quotation is involved.
>
> In genealogy, the recommended practice is to follow the 'classical rule'
> precisely--i.e., to put the reference note exactly at the end of the
> information that comes from the source we are citing. If part of the
> information in a sentence comes from one source and part comes from a
> different source, each part of that sentence is referenced separately. If
> part of the information in a sentence comes from a source and part is our
> interpretation, addition, or whatever, then the reference note specifically
> flags what came from the source; we would not put it at the end of a
> sentence where it might leave the impression that our
> interpretation/whatever also appeared in that source.
>
> *See follow-up message.
>
> Elizabeth

This thread: