Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-10 > 1285952957

From: Jacqueline Wilson <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] EE Discussion - Section 1.14 - Process Map forEvidenceAnalysis (Part 2)
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:09:17 -0500

Elizabeth: thank you for butting in! by naming the three different options you have turned on that very dim light bulb in my mind! I had not been aware that there are three options. I will be reading the the _OnBoard_ article.

To me, simply citing sources works in footnotes. Discussion is required in the report as we need to analysis what we have found, but an argument is only needed when there is disagreement between the various sources. Having managed to escape classes in rhetoric, I now realize that the term 'argument' might actually be something other than a disagreement.
On Oct 1, 2010, at 11:47 AM, wrote:

Michelle asked:
> Under what circumstances do you think that a proof argument is required
over simply citing sources?"

Judy added:

Jacqueline wrote:
> Perhaps my problem is with the word argument in proof argument as there is
no disagreement, no argument involved?

I'd also like to add here that the next edition of EE (which *isn't* coming
anytime soon!) should discuss the diffrence between genealogical proof
*arguments* and genealogical proof *summaries.* There are actually three
different options involved here:

1. "simply citing sources"
2. summarizing the 'proof' that led to a conclusion
3. arguing the evidence that supports a conclusion

In the meanwhile, if you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend Barbara Vines
Little's article from the September '09 issue of _OnBoard_, in which she
describes these distinctions. It's archived online in the Skillbuilding
module of www.bcgcertification.org.

Elizabeth
(who will go away now and not butt into this discussion further :)

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
The Evidence Series

The Transitional Genealogists List was created to provide a supportive environment for genealogists to learn best practices as they transition to professional level work. Please respect the kind intentions of this list.