Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2010-11 > 1289004223

Subject: Re: [TGF] Question on "rule" for citations
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 00:43:43 +0000 (UTC)

Mara asked:

>  If I explain that the records do not exist for the first child, do I need to repeat that information for the subsequent children (and there are many)

No.

> Or can I assume the reader will know since the jurisdiction is the same?

Yes. Intelligent readers should not be reading just the sketch that relates to their individual ancestor. They should be reading the full family narrative for context, if nothing else.

>(2) Since I am proving linking each generation via one person in a married couple, I find that for the children or spouses of that
person, the footnotes are where I place the proofs for date of birth and death.  I know that footnotes should be for citations but it appears that
they are also the only appropriate place for these proofs as well.

By "proofs," are you referring to proof arguments or proof summaries? If so, why must your analyses be relegated to source notes?  Sources are sources. A proof summary or proof argument is a narrative. Why can it not be presented with the rest of your narrative? Or, put another way, what's the rationale for carrying on one narrative in the text and another narrative in the source notes?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG

Tennesssee

This thread: