Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-01 > 1294764599

From: Jacqueline Wilson <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Author's Rights and Submitting to Journals
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:49:59 -0600

Jay, I think the problem with this particular publication is the fact that they want the copyright based on submission alone. What if they do not publish it? Unless they plan to publish every submission, this is just not right in my mind. The writing of the paragraph was very confusing and seems to contradict itself. Then I re-read it after reading the other posts and think I now understand what is being said.

The idea is to prevent other journals from taking the piece from the journal and reprint it. If the author submits it to the other journal then it is ok for the other publisher to print it.

At least I think that is what is said. What bothers me is the statement "All works submitted to the Indiana Genealogical Society
> (and its subsidiaries) for publication become the property of the Society and all copyrights are assigned to the Society." Submission should not transfer copyright, but only upon acceptance.

Jacqueline Wilson
Evanston, IL

"Wilssearch Editorial & Research Services - your service of choice for the indexing challenged genealogist."

Masters of Military History student at AMU