Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-01 > 1294775139

From: <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Author's Rights and Submitting to Journals
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:45:39 -0600

Jacqueline wrote:
> What bothers me is the statement "All works submitted to the Indiana
Genealogical Society (and its subsidiaries) for publication become the
property of the Society and all copyrights are assigned to the Society."
Submission should not transfer copyright, but only upon acceptance.

To which I would add: W writer who does not find this agreeable should make
the effort to negotiate.

In my own experience as an editor and writer (and occasional society
officer), when the publishing contract is left to the publisher's attorneys
to write, without editorial input, the attorneys will feel obliged to
represent the publishers interest by asking for every right possible. It is
then incumbent upon the editor to negotiate with the society (or corporate)
officers and the attorneys in order to eliminate passages that infringe too
much upon authorial rights.

Some editors are willing to do this. Some are not. Sometimes they are new
and do not feel confident yet in their own position. But, in my experience,
"fairness" on the part of editors and publishers will result in
significantly better manuscripts because the best and most experienced
authors, when they feel a contract is not fair, will simply take their
manuscripts elsewhere. That leaves the editor with less-experienced writers
who don't know that they have the right to negotiate or feel that they must
acquiesce to any terms in order to "get started" as a writer.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tennessee

This thread: