Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-02 > 1296753325

From: "LeRoy Atkins" <>
Subject: [TGF] National Archives in Washington,D.C - preliminary inventory - 3 questions
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:15:29 -0700

This month I will be at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. for the
first time. While I am there I will research a man who served in the Colored
Infantry during the Civil War.

The preliminary inventory for the Adjutanant General's Office, compiled by
Lucille H. Pendell and Elizabeth Bethel, indicates there were about 40
entries for the Colored Troops Division, 1863-89.

As I read the preliminary inventory it appears there is more than just
reading a single microfilm. The records of the Adjutanant General's Office
are essentially organized by divisions that were created over the course of
our nation's history. One such division is the "Colored Troops Division,
1863-89." The document files are described as "entries." Some of the entries
could list my subjects name and describe him. Therefore it appears that I
should be looking as some of those records in addition to what I had
envisioned I would see on a microfilm that I found in the Civil War Soldiers
and Sailors System. Is that correct?

If that is the case, as I understand I should place a request for files to
be pulled as soon as I can so I will have time to read them. Is that
correct?

Entry 391, for descriptive lists in 1864 consists of 54 volumes. It refers
to an order of the department of the Missouri in 1863. The file is arranged
chronolgically, but it does contain an index. Would I ask for all 54 volumes
so that I am sure I am able to see the index and then move quickly to the
appropriate entry?

Thank you for looking at my detailed questions.

LeRoy Atkins

Mesa, AZ

This thread: