Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-02 > 1298001183

From: Kimberly Powell <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Record Source Question
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:53:03 -0500

Very true, Michael. But my intention wasn't to give a broad definition of
poll taxes. I was trying to offer information which related directly to the
type of poll tax (levied specifically as a prerequisite for voting) that the
Veteran's exemptions appeared to relate to. Poll taxes go back to at least
1624 in Virginia as a source of revenue. Weren't free African Americans even
subject to some of those earlier poll taxes?

Kimberly

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Michael Hait <>wrote:

> Kimberly,
>
> That's actually a very limited view of poll taxes. While what you say was
> true during the "Jim Crow" South era, poll taxes were enacted going back to
> the late 18th century in quite a few states, including Virginia. Of course
> at this time, African Americans were not considered voters, and poll taxes
> did not affect them at all.
>

> Michael Hait
>
> http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com

This thread: