Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-05 > 1304810182

From: Harold Henderson <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] citation questions
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 18:16:22 -0500

Jennifer --

I think your citation is fine, but it can be a little finer if you want. You
have all the information there. If you want to tweak it, I would follow the
model on p. 809 (section 14.22) of Evidence Explained. By citing the actual
newspaper first and then giving the online information, you can save a few
words, and also that make it fall into a pattern very familiar from on-line
census citations.

For clippings sent to you, I'm not sure citation rules require you to
describe the full path of acquisition, but it seems courteous and helpful
to do so. If you reverse the format as EE suggests, then you can just say
something like, "obtained via PPNF" or something like that. This would be
analogous to crediting a fellow researcher who provided a lookup.

Harold