Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-08 > 1312506940

From: <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] BCG Kinship Determination Project
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 20:15:40 -0500

Connie,

My number one suggestion is this: Remember what KDP stands for---Kinship
Determination Project. This requirement replaced the old "narrative
genealogy" for a reason. The emphasis is upon *proving kinship,* not just
assembling a far-flung family, with a source cited for each date, place, or
activity.

You're already an advanced genealogist, with many years of experience under
your belt. You should have several good families to choose from. Pick the
one that best showcases your understanding of how the GPS (including that
much dreaded first step :) forms the basis for every kinship decision---even
when we are seemingly lucky enough to find a document that states a kinship
outright (which might even be wrong, of course).

Others have mentioned the value of using a wide variety of records and
placing your family in appropriate context. If you adhere to that first step
of the GPS---reasonably exhaustive research---you should have no worry as to
whether you've used a wide-enough variety or built in enough context.

With regard to that latter point, context, please remember its purpose.
Contrary to the urban legend that leads some applicants astray, context is
not just "adding historical stuff to make the story interesting." Putting
key documents into their context of the laws that created them or the laws
that governed our ancestor's activity ensures that those documents are
interpreted correctly. Studying historical, social, religious, political,
economic, and military context for the society in which each generation
lived not only helps us interpret records and situations correctly, it also
leads to other records we would not have known about and helps to ensure
that we have correctly sorted our key person from other same-name people in
the time and place. Ultimately, it helps us make the right kinship
determinations, when we link that person to children, spouses, or parents.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tennessee

This thread: