Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-12 > 1324915635

From: Connie Sheets <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Question about Source Citations and My Rootsmagic Software
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 08:07:15 -0800 (PST)

Ginger,

You've already received wise advice about the specifics of your citation, but let me add some thoughts about software that incorporates EE style templates.

I was initially thrilled when Legacy (and then RootsMagic; there may be others by now) came out with templates a couple of years ago. What I quickly discovered is that I probably have more situations that don't fit the templates than those that do.

I've mostly abandoned the templates, with a few exceptions like census and basic on-line templates, and write the majority of my citations Free-Form. This has the added benefits of (1) transferring mostly intact to other software (I still prefer Legacy to RM for some tasks), and (2) allowing me to copy and paste citations from narratives to the database, since it is no longer unusual for my citations to be written first in a narrative as opposed to the database.

The other choice is to live with the knowledge that the database will inject inappropriate punctuation, wording or sequencing that will need to be edited in narratives. The bottom line, at least in my experience with both RootsMagic and Legacy, is that citations created with templates require editing in narratives more often than not.

Connie Sheets
Phoenix, AZ

This thread: