Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-12 > 1324939234

From: Barbara Schenck <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Documenting large kinship happenings
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 16:40:34 -0600

Thanks for the recommendation, Michael. I've just downloaded a 'sample'
onto my kindle and will have a look at Duncan Watts' book.

I saw a reference to another one, Connected, by Nicholas Christakis, on
amazon.com that sounded intriguing as well, perhaps less 'scientific' and
more 'sociological.' That one is at my library so I've reserved it.

If you do put together a workshop for RootsTech -- or anywhere else -- I
for one would be in line to attend.

Barbara

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Michael Hait <>wrote:

> Barbara wrote:
>
> I've used a program called Personal Brain which allows for connections to
>> be made in a variety of ways. It not good to use with regular
>> genealogical
>> stuff. At least I find it awkward and messy for strict family groups, but
>> it's very useful for showing and keeping track of collateral relationships
>> that don't show up on a standard family tree program. For example, you
>> could create a label "Jones School" and connect all the people who go
>> there
>> to that label, and if some of them were in a particular military unit
>> together, they could also be labeled with that unit, and if someone
>> married
>> a classmate, you could show that connection. They have a website with
>> plenty of examples of how the software can be used (think of a way and you
>> can probably use it!). Google it, if you're interested.
>>

> This is actually a key part of the social network model that Duncan Watts
> and Steven Strogatz developed in other fields: that connections between
> people ("nodes") could be defined as connections to a third node (a "hub").
> In your example, Jones School would be the hub through which all of these
> other people are connected. This is slightly different from the traditional
> model that shows connections directly between nodes in a network.
>
> Watts discusses this, in a popular manner as opposed to his more
> scientific papers, in his book *Six Degrees* (W. W. Norton & Company,
> 2004). It is available for sale on Amazon.com for a relatively low price.
> This is a wonderful summary of both Duncan's work on social networks from
> both a physics and a sociology perspective (his original and later fields
> of study, respectively), and of then-current (2004) theories about networks.
>
> I highly recommend the book.
>
> Michael Hait, CG(sm)
>
> http://www.haitfamilyresearch.**com <http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com>;
> "Planting the Seeds" Blog: http://michaelhait.wordpress.**com<http://michaelhait.wordpress.com>;
>
> CG and Certified Genealogist are service marks of the Board for
> Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certificants
> after periodic competency evaluation, and the board name is registered in
> the US Patent & Trademark Office.

This thread: