Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-12 > 1325010918

From: Barbara Schenck <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Documenting large kinship happenings
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:35:18 -0600

> Connie wrote:
>

> Barbara, were you talking about the "All Relatives" or "Everyone" diagram
> in Calico Pie's Family Historian when you said:
>
> <But I've used PH to show connections between migrating families who
> show up in the same places over and over but who are related so far back
> that usually no one remembers exactly how. Having the connections in
> front of me sometimes helps kick start the brain when I'm trying to decide
> who else they might have gone to live with or visit when I lose them in the
> middle of Alabama in 1830.>
>
> I'm trying to wrap my head around what your example might look like?
>
> Connie,

I don't currently have FH on the computer I am writing this from, so I
can't go back and look at it to answer your question about which choice I
made from the options available. I was using FH 3, and I had a bunch of
people who lived along a creek in South Carolina, many of whom were related
collaterally.

I did a family group chart of one family and set it on the screen. Then I
made similar group sheets for the rest of the families who lived there and
used these ribbon or treamer things (I can't remember an official name for
them) that showed the collateral connections from one family to another.
Some families, of course, were not related, but were just neighbors. I
included them (minus streamers) so I could see all these people together,
and then I printed it out.

THEN I made another one of a group of people in Louisiana, who were some of
the same families ten to twenty years later. Having the first graphic on
paper to glance at reminded me of names and some blood or marriage
relationships that, given my sieve of a memory, might have escaped me when
looking at the second list.. It jogged my memory about why certain people
might have showed up where and when they did.

Also, seeing who was a part of this network gave me ideas of which people
it might be worth following when someone of significance to me
'disappeared' without a trace.

I can see where it would not be of help to everyone. I am visually
challenged in that I forget what I've seen shortly after I've seen it. But
if I can put it on a piece of paper and refer to it -- keeping those
collateral connections on the front burner, so to speak, I find it easier
to come up with new options when the trail gets cold.

It also makes it easier for me to evaluate the information I find,
sometimes helping me determine if two people of the same name are likely to
be the same person or not. Family group sheets are one way, but in my
family at least, collateral relations and friends were equally telling, but
harder to get on paper in a useful way. FH helped me do that.

Barbara

> The Transitional Genealogists List was created to provide a supportive
> environment for genealogists to learn best practices as they transition to
> professional level work. Please respect the kind intentions of this list.
>
> --
> Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist (sm), Certificate 903
> Contract Genealogist, US Navy Casualty POW/MIA Branch
> Mail address - PO Box 1085, Manvel TX 77578
> Telephone/fax 281-431-3525
> www.forensicgenealogyservices.com/NavyCasualty.html
> www.facebook.com/forensicgenealogist
>
> Certified Genealogist (CG) is a service mark (sm) of the Board for
> Certification of Genealogists®, conferred to associates who consistently
> meet ethical and competency standards in accord with peer-reviewed
> evaluations every five years, and the board name is registered in the US
> Patent & Trademark Office.

This thread: