Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2011-12 > 1325349272

From: Karen Rhodes <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] A sensitive topic
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:34:32 -0500

I also grew up in the south in the 1950s, and I think it imperative that
today's generation and future generations know exactly what it was like
-- hurtful language and all. People need to be aware of these things --
racism, lynchings, the Holocaust, slavery -- so that they will not
happen again. Cleaning up the language might save a few individuals'
sensibilities, but sometimes sensibilities need to be offended in order
that these wrongs will not be repeated. If we do not have a full
picture of what happened in the past, how are we to take steps to
prevent these wrongs in the future?

Karen Rhodes
Middleburg, Clay County, Florida
Author of /Non-Federal Censuses of Florida, 1784-1945: A Guide to Sources/

This thread: