Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-02 > 1328564418

From: Debra MacLaughlan-Dumes <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] What is the name for this?
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:40:18 -0800
References: <>
In-Reply-To: <>

On Feb 6, 2012, at 1:34 PM, Laurie Huey wrote:

> I imagine it has one. What is the name for the symbol(?) AD (Anno
> Domini) that was on my 5X great grandfather-in-law's grave marker? It's
> like the one in this photo
> where the A and D have become one sharing their respective right and
> left parts.

It's called an AD ligature, or just a ligature. In older typography you see this occasionally with other letter combinations such as st.

D.L. MacLaughlan-Dumes

This thread: