Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-03 > 1333125334

From: "Michael Hait" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Source Citation for Land Record
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:35:34 -0400

Katherine & Eileen,

This is a good analysis of the record with the information that you have.
However, the exercise emphasizes the importance of knowing what record you
are looking at, who created it, etc.

Digital images are image copies and can be treated as the original. For this
reason, I cite the original first, then add the digital elements of the
citation after the original record.

Let's consider the questions that Katherine raised, as to the original
record:

Who created it: the colonial Maryland Land Office

What is this, specifically (not generally): a Patented Certificate of
Survey, Prince George's County -- as opposed to an Unpatented Certificate of
Survey for lands reserved for the Proprietor's use that were leased rather
than patented. The county name is vital, because the surveys are separated
and organized into different series by county.

What is this, uniquely: Patented Certificate no. 1996, "Slate Ridge," for
William Elder (1739) -- The certificate number is the key piece of
information to note, as it is the unique identifier. The name of the land is
important, as it is the patented name, which is maintained in Maryland down
through the present day, barring any later resurveys or patents. The name of
the person to whom this land is patented may be important, but it is also
important to note to oneself (i.e. not in the citation) that you should be
sure that the land was actually patented to William Elder. Some warrants and
surveys for land not yet patented were assigned to others.

Where is it: Here you would note the location of the digital images you
viewed. This is philosophically no different, in my opinion, than if you
were citing a microfilmed image copy. The format is slightly different.
Despite the fact that the website you are looking at does not note it, this
is actually a digital publication of the Maryland State Archives. See
http://aomol.net/000001/000079/html/index.html

So here is how I would cite the images you are looking at:

Maryland Land Office, Patented Certificate of Survey, Prince George's
County, Certificate no. 1996, "Slate Ridge," for William Elder (1739);
digital images, Maryland State Archives, /Plats [italics]/
(http://www.plats.net : accessed 29 March 2012); citing MSA S1203-2093.

This last reference to the MSA number is the unique identifier used by the
Maryland State Archives, if you were looking at the original certificate.

Michael Hait, CG(sm)

http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com
"Planting the Seeds" Blog: http://michaelhait.wordpress.com

CG and Certified Genealogist are service marks of the Board for
after periodic competency evaluation, and the board name is registered in
the US Patent & Trademark Office.