Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-04 > 1333748271

From: Jean Kelley <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] reading the 1940 census images
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:37:51 -0500

Mary,

The National Archives branch in Kansas City is where I started my genealogical research in the early 1980s. First, I had to find a babysitter. My drive was only from Shawnee, Kansas (maybe 30 miles). Then I would spend the time looking for one ancestor. One day a great-grandfather with his mother in Anderson Co., Kentucky...one day, one ancestor. Next time looking for a great-grandmother in Logan Co., Ohio; again, one day, one ancestor. I could not stay all day, but had to pick up the baby by late afternoon. The copies were huge, and on the slick "zerox" paper.

Ah, the old days ... thanks for the memories!
Jean Kelley
Jean Foster Kelley, CG
-- CG, and Certified Genealogist, are service marks of the Board for
after periodic evaluation, and the board name is registered in the US
Patent & Trademark Office.

This thread: