Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-04 > 1333991409

From: "Amy Dunn" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] options after closing a business
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:10:12 -0500

Angela,

That's part of the problem. I am not one of those who is use to teaching in
front of groups. Why would the local societies
hire a 30 something year old instead of one of those who done it for years?
On top of it there is already a area genealogy
library that does genealogy classes for free. This is the exact reason why
I do not put my photograph on my website or
anywhere else that is associated with my business. Very few takes young
professional genealogists in my area.

Right now considering the economy and other issues, I am probably best at
closing the business. As for the BCG standard,
I would use it regardless of what I end up doing. I found out about the BCG
standards when I before I opened the business
and I would not drop it. I was hoping to help people even if I closed the
business.

Before I opened the business I was a volunteer for Rootsweb and Random Acts
of Genealogy Kindness, but I didn't
remember how I could properly volunteer lookups locally without it being
classifying as a business. I have had some records
at a few local courthouses cost $1 plus per page which could soon add up if
I did all of it for free. Now if I did just online
lookups it wouldn't cost anything.

Does this help? I am really trying to go from a business basis back to
being a volunteer doing lookups.

Amy