Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-04 > 1334503217

From: Julie Michutka <>
Subject: [TGF] pro bono work and copyright
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:20:17 -0400

On Apr 14, 2012, at 9:53 PM, Katherine Rudolph wrote:
> I'm just a newbie starting out, and all the work I'm doing right now is pro bono.

Kay kind of implied that the copyright issue under discussion doesn't come into play if the work is pro bono. (I hope Kay will forgive me if I have misinterpreted her remark.) This is something I have been wondering about. I have pro bono projects of the past that I can see drawing from for examples in course materials, blog posts, or future articles. I feel like I should contact the clients (even though pro bono, they were still clients) and ask their permission. Likewise, as I'm slowly picking my way through two large pro bono projects right now as a way of learning with depth, breadth, and glory of New England records, I should probably draft a simple agreement with my two friend-clients that I can make use of the research, and include any exceptions (e.g., omitting living persons). While I know that they are each very laid-back and won't mind, I don't need even the chance that someone (a sibling?) will challenge my right to re-use the material I produce.

Thoughts? Are there legal issues with copyright and pro bono work?

Julie Michutka

This thread: