Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-04 > 1335031021

From: Karen Rhodes <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Name Variation, a name change or a priest who can't spell
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 13:57:01 -0400

Are you looking at originals or transcriptions? If you are looking at
transcriptions, there could be a combination of the priest's negligent
spelling (but spelling was still higgledy-piggledy at that time) and
inexpert transcription by someone not well-versed in paleography. In
the Spanish records for St. Augustine between 1784 and 1821, I am
discovering what untrained paleographers a lot of transcribers and
abstractors were! Fortunately, I have been trained by one of the best
and most experienced paleographers in the U.S. and have a rather wide
variety of experience in records from the 16th to the 19th centuries.

So if you are looking at transcriptions, see if you can get copies of
the originals. If you do not have much experience in paleography, send
me scans and I'll see if I can help.

I have come across some quite weird variations in names, some of which
do make me wonder, "Where did he get that?"

Karen Packard Rhodes
Middleburg, Clay County, Florida

On 4/21/2012 1:23 PM, wrote:
> In researching my Lennon/Lannon/Linnon ancestors. I have discovered
> another name variation which has me somewhat puzzled.
> Catherine (Lennon) Douras was born 31 May 1846 according to her obituary,
> her death certificate has 21 June 1841 . The death certificate lists her
> father as Hugh Lennon. Census records have her born anywhere from 1841-1847.
> The majority are 1845-1847. I have found a baptism record in the Saint
> Philip's Catholic Church register from Richmond, Ontario, Canada that reads:
> 1845 June 25 Baptized Catherine born 31 May legitimate daughter of Hugh
> Linning and Catherine O'Neil sponsors Edward Moore& Mary O'Neil
> There is another record in the register that reads:
> 1838 July 15 Baptized Hugh born 21st June same year legitimate son of Hugh
> Lemming and Catherine O'Neil sponsors were Dennis O'Neil and Anne Short
> A third entry is:
> 1840 December 25th Baptized Dennis born 24 November same year legitimate
> son of Hugh Quinn and Catherine O'Neil sponsors Dennis O'Neil and Ann Ryan
> These images are available on Family Search in the Ontario Catholic Church
> Records for Carleton, Richmond, St. Philip. The first one is in Baptisms,
> marriages, burials 1845 -1868, image 6 and the last two are in Baptisms,
> marriages, burials 1836-1845, images 13& 20.
> Comparing the Canadian census records from 1842 and 1852, with these
> baptisms it appears that all three are children of Hugh Lennon/Linnen. The ages
> and given names match what is in the census records. There are not any Hugh
> Lemming's or Linnings in the census records for this area for that matter
> there aren't any Lemmings or Linnings at all. I have looked at the
> conformation lists and a list of parishioners and found no other Lemmings or
> Linnings. Currently I haven't found this name in connection with the location in
> any other record. I still have to search property, probate and other court
> records. There is a Hugh Lunny in Fitzroy in 1851 with a wife by the name
> of Susan there are no children in the household with the names Catherine,
> Hugh or Dennis.
> My question has anyone run into this kind of name variation? Would an
> Irish accent add a "g" to a surname? Is the priest's spelling that bad?
> Ann Gilchrest

This thread: