Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-04 > 1335297105

From: Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Name Variation, a name change or a priest who can't spell
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:51:45 -0400

How about half an "Amen"? ;-} (because consonants can also get mangled and morphed..., but in different ways and for different reasons).

The technical term is "vowel reduction" -- but I do like "smooshing" ....

The vowels definitely get lost more easily than most consonants do, especially if you're speaking at normal, casual speech rate and casual (as opposed to "citation") articulation. It's actually surprising how words can sound very different when they're being spoken as slowly articulated, isolated "citation" examples, in contrast to normal, rapid, running speech; and it's more true of vowels, and especially unstressed vowels, which can end up all sounding pretty much like an unaccented "uh" sound.

And, especially before the 20th century, since names were usually _spoken_ by the informant to the scribe and the informant was often not literate himself/herself and probably didn't spell the name to the scribe, the scribe had to interpret the spoken name as best he could and the informant couldn't validate what the clerk/scribe had written. And for immigrant informants, there was an accent to be "interpreted" as well.

I think I've mentioned before on one or another of these lists that part of what's at play here is that for much of record-keeping until the early-ish 20th century, spelling wasn't standardized; and for many people there wasn't even much of a concept of being consistent within the same document. (I think education of the writer played a large part; documents written by lawyers and some clergy and others who underwent "higher education" tended to show consistency more than documents produced by folks with only "lower education.") I've seen mid-19th century documents from New England towns where the same name referring to the same individual is spelled more than one way in the same document; and I've seen the same thing in mid-19th century metrical records from Lithuania, especially when the entries were made over time, apparently by different rabbis.

It's fascinating ... and definitely one of the challenges of most genealogical research.

--Meredith

Meredith Hoffman, M.A. Linguistics
Professional Genealogy Researcher
GenerationsWeb / Plymouth, MA