Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-05 > 1338242007

From: "Tami K. Pelling" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] introduction and thoughts from a young genealogist!
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 14:53:27 -0700 (PDT)

Welcome. It was truly thrilled to hear from a younger genealogist.

I'm 44 and my genealogical quest in live began when I was in the 5th grade completing a history report. Long story short, the class was given as assignment on any history topic which involved Indiana and United States history with one prop and would be graded on content and creativity. My report was on a Civil War Soldier buried in a cemetery hidden by trees and overgrown brush. I was the only student to receive a A+.

I have been conducting genealogical research since I was 17 years old. Therefore, I have experienced the years of setting at the microfilm reader for hours on end searching for a family member and hearing the common "you are so young to be doing genealogy". I believe the younger generation, like I was at one time, has the desire to learn as well as teach but are somewhat more restricted by time.  That being said, you have so much that you can offer your genealogical community.

Since that time, I have completed ProGen3 and I am a graduate of the National Institute for Genealogical Studies in American Records and Genealogical Methodology. My business which began in 2000 recently received an overhaul due to the vast knowledge I gained from ProGen3, the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, and attended lectures.

I also attended the NGS conference in Cincinnati and Elizabeth Shown Mills FAN club lecture was the first one marked for attendance on my list.  Any lectures that you are able to attend will definitely aid in your genealogical knowledge and genealogical network. I would strongly suggestion joining ProGen, your local genealogical and historical society, and your state genealogical society. As well as societies at a national level.

Good luck with your genealogical quest.

Tami K. Pelling, PLCGS
Fallen Leaf Genealogical Consulting
(Cemetery preservation, Indiana Research, Genealogical Lectures)

"Inspiring and educating family researchers to bring out the most accurate information and correct source citations so they can properly document and preserve their family histories for future generations."~Tami K. Pelling

This thread: