Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-05 > 1338302756

From: "Thomas Macentee" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] introduction and thoughts from a young genealogist!
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:45:56 -0500

Eva

Thank you, especially for your honesty and your heartfelt comments. I would
encourage you to keep the conversation going on these topics - the
perspective of the younger genealogist is important.

I couldn't figure out if you have a blog or are on social media but I assume
you are. I would encourage you to start a genealogy blog if you don't
already have one - it is a great way to not only voice your opinion on these
issues, but also solicit feedback and propose new ideas to the genealogy
community.

WE NEED YOUR PERSPECTIVE and the perspective of those who are going to carry
the genealogy community and industry forward. Don't let the naysayers and
the critics deter you. Sometimes you have to be a "bull in a china shop" -
I know this all too well. I am approaching my golden year in December and I
still feel like the youngest genealogist when I attend society meetings or
go to conferences. I get frustrated. But I also realize that the genealogy
community is in transition especially when it comes to technology and we
need folks to shepherd the community to new technologies while we still
teach the newcomers and younger genealogists the basics and standards of
sound genealogical research and methodologies.

I also think this would be a good tactic/approach for the genealogy
community and especially societies: start an "under 40" group or have
special "under 30" discounts. Many non-profits due this especially the arts
groups. SF Opera and the SF Symphony have special under 30 discounts and
social groups which help build a love for opera and classical music - and
even special educational talks prior to each performance just for the under
30 crowd. I would love to see APG and others set up similar groups - it
would be an effective way to solicit feedback from the younger genealogists
and also bring them into the fold.

And finally, as another LGBT genealogist, I appreciate being able to discuss
the issues involved with being queer and also working within our families to
document history. I believe there are more gay genealogists than people
realize perhaps due to the issues of time and economics: LGBT people tend to
have more disposable income to devote to genealogy and more time available
to do so. I know so many LGBT people personally who become both the
caretakers for parents because out of all the siblings they have the time
and money to do this, and the same holds true with being the caretaker for
family history. You should also know that I am "out" to much of the
genealogy community and I have not had much "push back" - of course there
are those, including some vendors, who don't want to work with me simply
because I am what G_d made me, but I figure that is their loss. Overall,
I've had support from a community that is intelligent, caring, open-minded
and have open arms and hearts. And for that I am grateful.

Thomas MacEntee
Founder, High-Definition Genealogy
http://hidefgen.com
+1 (773) 661-3080