Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-05 > 1338308851

From: Mayhew Genealogy <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] introduction and thoughts from a young genealogist!
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:27:31 -0700

Welcome.

I wish I had become more involved in genealogy when I was your age. Younger researchers frequently have more commitments (school, work, significant others, children and social life) then those of us in the retirement years and that was my problem. Learn all you can now.

Three technologies that I have found helpful are Facebook, Blogger (ok there are others but parallelism is important) and Twitter. Many respected researchers post in Facebook. It's also a way to become more connected with the community and to hear about what is happening when it happens. As you respond to posts or post your own, others will get to know you. Having a blog can also serve this function. Twitter can get intrusive but can also be fun.

There are many of you out there. Welcome.

Jamie Mayhew

Sent from my iPad

On May 28, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Eva Goodwin <> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Fairly new to the list and just wanting to introduce myself. I've been
> lurking for a few months and have benefited greatly from the conversations
> and information-sharing that happens here. Thank you!
>
> I'm 25 years old and have been doing genealogy as a hobby for, oh, about 15
> years! Of course I have become more serious in the past 6-7 years, and that
> is largely thanks to Ancestry.com which was my "hook" into serious
> research. But I have been obsessed with history and memory for as long as I
> can remember, fueled originally by a number of family items that have
> passed down my maternal line (from 3rd-great-grandmother through daughters,
> down to me), including several scrapbooks from my 2nd-great-grandmother
> that include a family tree of her maternal line. These items and
> Ancestry.com were the jumping off points for my research but in the past 3
> years I have branched out way beyond that and have been studying and
> applying the BCG standards to my research with the eventual goal being to
> become certified. It's an exciting process. I'm also enrolled right now in
> the American Records certificate program at the National Institute for
> Genealogical Studies in Toronto (I chose that one because they also have a
> lot of Canadian records electives, and since I'm half Canadian that seemed
> smart). But I'd like to possibly do other courses too, perhaps BU or even
> eventually the Samford Institute.
>
> I attended the NGS conference in Cincinnati several weeks ago and learned a
> lot and had a fabulous time. I have a few remarks that I thought I'd share
> to the list. I was one of the few people under 40 that I spotted at the
> entire event, and was probably the only one under 30 (though there might've
> been another 1 or 2 that I just never glimpsed). I found that pretty
> dismaying. I think it's an unfortunate generational disconnect that I hope
> will start changing over the next few years. I received quite a few
> condescending remarks (e.g., "you're too young to be doing genealogy"
> followed by popcorn-style "quizzing" on my knowledge around county
> formation dates, etc. by one gentleman) but also many more welcoming ones.
> People seemed mostly thrilled to see a young person there. But for all that
> people said things like "it's so great to see you here, we need more young
> people to be doing this!" not a single person asked me questions about why
> I was interested in genealogy, what drew me to it, and what about it feels
> relevant to me as a young person. It seems to me that, yes, young people

This thread: