Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-05 > 1338313527

From: Elroy Davis <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] introduction and thoughts from a young genealogist!
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:45:27 -0400

I'm actually curious about this sort of information as well. I'm one of
those folks who was interested in genealogy at an early age (I still have
some reply letters from people who responded to inquiries from my 10
year-old self), but hasn't started getting "serious" until recently (just
sent in my first lesson for the NGS Home-Study Course a couple of weeks
ago).

Seems like this list would be a good place to start such a survey.

In addition to all of the reasons other have stated about groups, I also
find that my research, and therefore access to repositories, is limited to
the hours that I'm not working my "real job". It's difficult to get to the
town clerk's office when you work till 6:00, then have kids to feed, etc.
When I was in my 20's, I may have taken a different path in life if I had,
at the time, thought of genealogy as a viable employment option. At the
time, though, I still considered it a hobby, not realizing that there could
be more to it.

-Elroy (also a long-time list lurker)

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Bethany Waterbury <
> wrote:

> At the very least I would love to see a employment survey done by APG (or
> another organization) that breaks down the various areas genealogists are
> earning income - not just "research" but what kind of research? Probate?
> Mineral Rights? Lineage Societies? What are the average hourly rates,
> especially when stratified with years of experience and whether or not the
> researcher has a CG or other credential or educational level? Who is the
> average client? How many hours is the average project? Are there
> commercial clients - are people doing "business genealogies"? If so, how
> are they marketing their services and getting those clients?

This thread: