Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-06 > 1339159278

From: "Michele Lewis" <>
Subject: [TGF] dispelling family myths
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 08:41:18 -0400

I don't know if it is just my family or what but I seem to have a whole lot
of family myths that I spend a lot of time dispelling. This is the second
one this week!

This is the information that I was given.

"Grammas name was NOT Lorena! It was in fact Morena Minerva Sumrall. She was
PROBABLY born somewhere in Louisiana but that fact alludes me. Unfortunately
Gramma's Dad is a bit of a scandal! Mother said G Grandma Sumrall was in the
employ of one (rascal) named Dr. Oscar Daniels (or McDaniels) who was a red
haired Irishman from the old country (allegedly!) Anyhoo it seems Doc was
married to a frail woman and it was G Grammas job to help her with whatever.
Apparently 'whatever' ended up with a (then teenaged) G Gramma taking care
of Mrs. Daniels wifely duties at least once as Gramma Morena was the
byproduct of THAT! So, THAT is why her info is so darned hard to come by!"

So here is the problem. The "teenaged" girl was actually 31 when the child
(Morena) was born. Multiple records agree on both of their birth dates.
The wayward Irish doctor was born in Mississippi, his father as born in
North Carolina and his mother was born in Virginia.

So where does this stuff come from?

Michele

This thread: