Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-06 > 1339195672

Subject: [TGF] Citing images at FamilySearch
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 18:47:52 -0400 (EDT)

This post is from a question I asked on the EE Forums. Since asking my
original question I started thinking more about this.
The basic rule for FHL microfilm is that they are not publications but
rather preservation films. When using FHL microfilm our citations are created
as though we are looking at the original adding the FHL microfilm to the
end of the citation. The images on FamilySearch are digitized versions of the
microfilm. You can access these images through the catalogue or by
searching the databases. Does this make the digital images "preservation images" ?
In the case of FamilySearch wouldn't it be viewed as a virtual Family
History Library? If so wouldn't this change how you source these images? Is
FamilySearch a publication or a virtual Family History Library?
Should we view websites like FamilySearch, Ancestry.com, Fold3 etcetera as
libraries instead of "publications" ?
Any thoughts or opinions?
Ann Gilchrest

This thread: