Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-11 > 1353635914

From: "Kathy Gunter Sullivan, CG" <>
Subject: [TGF] Bad Karma
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 20:58:34 -0500

I cannot comment at the /Tampa Bay/ website
<http://www2.tbo.com/lifestyles/life/2012/nov/18/banewso8-drive-by-genealogists-should-learn-a-few-ar-567094/>;
because I do not do Facebook. Some bloggers have picked up the article
and made it a "cause" in bloggers' world.

<http://wetree.blogspot.com/2012/11/time-to-pop-cap-in-term-drive-by.html>;
<http://mmgenealogy.blogspot.com/2012/11/grand-theft-genealogy.html>;
<http://sherifenley.blogspot.com/2012/11/ketchup-and-thanksgiving-this-is-not.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FrwzNy+%28THE++EDUCATED++GENEALOGIST%29>;

The slammed author attempts to point out and educate about problems
with evidence evaluation. Hyperbole--exaggeration to create emphasis
or effect--is employed by many authors and bloggers to make a point is
not a bad thing. In this instance it is inflated on flogs (oops,
blogs) as if it is a personal attack on "hobbiests" [/sic]/ and
Ancestry.com--neither of which were mentioned in the author's article.
And as if "license" was a serious proposition. There was no personal
attack upon anyone in the author's article despite the prevailing
crowd mentality of the commentators (a few of whom admit they have not
even read the article).

Not everything about is "you" (whoever you are). There is no
common-sense reason to take every comment by an author or a blogger as
a personal affront.

Kathy Gunter Sullivan

This thread: