Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-11 > 1353687378

Subject: Re: [TGF] Bad Karma -- oops
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:16:18 -0500 (EST)

Oops... My email went out without my signature. I wasn't trying to be
anonymous! Here it is, signed.

I finally managed to find Sharon Tate Moody's blog post, and have read only
a handful of other blogs and emails about it. I want to make only a few
observations.

- All great music was once new. All genealogists were once beginners.
Beginners learn.
- Some beginners eventually become great genealogists, but not all aspire
to such heights. That is o.k.
- Bad genealogists and good genealogists have equal access to the
Internet. Fact and fiction reproduce equally fast on the Internet. User beware.

Tony Proctor said, "The industry should be able to help solve these issues
but we're very fragmented." This points up another interesting reality.
That is, genealogy is both a hobby and a profession. That is, people enjoy
genealogy at very different levels. This is somewhat unusual -- for example,
medicine and law do not invite people to engage in medicine or law as a
hobby. In addition, genealogy has become an "industry" of sorts, which is to
say, a constellation of firms sell services to genealogists -- both
hobbyists and professionals. These firms are in it to make money, not to police
the field. Their goal is to sell, not regulate.

Should someone regulate? Actually, the field already has some effective
self-regulation: certification, accreditation, codes of ethics. Is this
enough? Good question.

J. H. ("Jay") Fonkert, CG

View my speaking calendar at:
_http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/calendar_view.php_ (http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/calendar_view.php)
_http://www.fourgenerationsgenealogy.wordpress.com_
(http://www.fourgenerationsgenealogy.wordpress.com/)
_http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/_
(http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/)
Saint Paul, MN

Director, Association of Professional Genealogists
professional profile at _www.apgen.org_ (http://www.apgen.org)/)

*"CG" & "Certified Genealogist" are service marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, and are used by authorized associates following
periodic, peer-reviewed competency evaluations. Certificate No. 965, issued 11
May 2012, expires 11 May 2017.

In a message dated 11/23/2012 4:31:40 A.M. Central Standard Time,