Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2013-08 > 1376423155

From: "Miriam J. Robbins" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Obituaries and Newspapers
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:45:55 -0700

I'd like to caution anyone who is considering using obituaries and/or
newspaper articles in their professional research for clients to check out
the terms of use on subscription newspaper websites. Most ban the use of
their collection for professional research due to the terms of use THEY
have to follow when digitizing the collection. See the Legal Genealogist
blog for details:

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2012/11/30/looking-at-the-news-sites/

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2013/07/26/genealogybank-permissions-clarified/

Using microfilmed or hard copy newspapers for client research generally
does not have the same restrictions.

That being said, I'd like to unashamedly promote my portal site, the Online
Historical Newspaper site (
http://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home) which gives links to
online historical digitized papers at both free and subscription websites.
It is NOT comprehensive yet, because the rate of newspapers being digitized
and place online is astounding and difficult for me to keep up with.
Furthermore, before I add links, I check them out to make sure the
description is accurate (many are not) in regard to the name of the paper,
the publication location, and the years actually available. Often, I spend
time updating links that have changed as well. This does take a tremendous
amount of time. However, if you don't see something for your area of
interest, please contact me at . I have a long, backed up
bookmark list of links to add to the site, and it's likely I can find some
links for you that I have not yet published on my site.

Happy Hunting!

Miriam
--
Miriam J. Robbins
Spokane, Washington, USA
*Online Historical Newspapers*
http://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home

*Online Historical Directories*
http://sites.google.com/site/onlinedirectorysite/Home

*My Family History Blog:* http://ancestories1.blogspot.com
*One of Internet Genealogy Magazine's 25 Top Genealogy Blogs!*

*Eastern Washington Genealogical Society Blog:*
http://ewgs-spokane.blogspot.com
*One of Family Tree Magazine's 40 Best Genealogy Blogs for 2013 and 2011!*