Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2013-08 > 1376516504

From: Kerry Scott <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Obituaries and Newspapers
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:41:44 -0600

I'm the volunteer Member Benefits Coordinator for APG. GenealogyBank.com
agreed to provide a 20% discount to APG members because I asked them to. I
badgered them for months to get that discount. I'm not a lawyer, but I
don't believe that meets any definition of entrapment. Additionally, it
sounds like GenealogyBank is being pretty clear about the fact that this
part of their TOS is required by their agreements with the people who
provide the content. The people who have the records have considerable
power to decide what's done with them, and they can decide not to make them
available to any company who doesn't want to play by their rules.

Incidentally, I've approached a number of companies about providing
discounts to APG members. One of the bits of feedback I've received is the
idea that this group is rather critical of the companies who serve them,
and that providing a discount might not be the best use of their funds for
that reason. There's a sense that no good deed goes unpunished. If anyone
feels entrapped by the 20% discount this company offers...well, I'm very,
very sorry to hear that.

--------------------------------
Kerry Scott
www.cluewagon.com <http://www.cluewagon.com/?utm_source=emlsig>;
<http://twitter.com/cluewagon>;

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist <
> wrote:

> That might be one way to do it. All these companies have auto-renew
> unless you call and cancel before the first renewal date. The only thing
> any of this accomplishes for the exact same results is more money for
> GenealogyBank.
>
> I still think it is misleading advertising when these companies target
> marketing with discounts to professionals and do NOT include full
> disclosure that professionals cannot use the product in their work. It's
> almost like entrapment.

This thread: