Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2013-08 > 1376522179

From: "Thomas Macentee" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Obituaries and Newspapers
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 18:16:19 -0500

Wow Michael. You are being rude and disingenuous. I always love it when
people start off with a compliment only to kick them in the ass at the end.
That is what you've done to Kerry. Another case of "why we can't have nice
things . . ."

First, APG is a professional organization and yes the majority may be
researchers for clients but not everyone. Me for instance. I don't take
research clients. So having a discount for GenealogyBank via APG is
something I appreciate.

Second, the " APG is a professional organization, not a discount warehouse
for hobby tools." comment is uncalled for and unprofessional. It only serves
to highlight the elitist streak that many at APG exhibit and why those of us
who don't "worship at the altar" of professional genealogy not only feel
left out, but not spoken for. I continue to wonder if APG is the right
organization for someone like me . . . .

Third, look at it realistically - would GenealogyBank really offer a
discount if APG insisted on a disclaimer about professional usage of their
product? I don't think Kerry misled anyone or GenealogyBank misled her. I'm
willing to treat it as an oversight. Besides, anyone plunking down their
money should be reading the Terms of Service for any site they use, right?

If I were Kerry I wouldn't bother getting another discount ever for APG. And
if I were a genealogy vendor - which I am - I wouldn't offer an ungrateful
organization a discount, let alone my advertising revenue.

Like Kerry said, no good deed goes undone and people deserve what they get.

Thomas MacEntee
Founder, High-Definition Genealogy
http://hidefgen.com
+1 (773) 661-3080