Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2015-07 > 1438027584

From: "Kith-n-Kin" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Closing of the Arizona State Library Genealogy Collection
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:06:24 -0700

All,

Just got a message on my answering service from Ted Hale:

"I will be out of the office this afternoon across the street in meetings
but I wanted to get back with you as quick as I could concerning the
genealogy library. It's not closing down and going away. It's the space that
it's in that is changing. So the genealogy center is going to be across the
street at the Polly Rosenbaum State archives and history building. So it is
gonna be in the more climate controlled area for better preservation. It's
also...we're trying to get it online as much as possible at
www.azlibrary.gov, to provide access to the genealogy website. Also those
will be connected to resources around Arizona including ancestry, Gale
genealogy connect and some other programs. So it's the space that it's in
that's changing and there is no plans to throw out all those volumes. That's
a valuable collection. So once again I'm Ted Hale and I'm at 602-926-3736 if
you have any more questions. They are going to be sending out a press
release. . . "

I might suggest that you all who are in Phoenix and environs make a point of
giving them input and whatever else they may need to keep this up. I have to
agree that the new, climate controlled, Archives building is a better,
albeit not as "fun" environment for the collection, as long as it is
integrated and not kept in boxes in the storage rooms.

Pat

Collection