TRASTER-L ArchivesArchiver > TRASTER > 2000-03 > 0953126227
From: Norma Key <>
Subject: [TRASTER] Treaster Family History/5a
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 05:17:07 -0800
THE NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA YEARS
Indians by a treaty negotiated at Fort Stanwix (Rome, New York) November 5,
1768. By this treaty the whole northwestern portion of present day
Pennsylvania was conveyed to the Proprietors of the Province. Much of the
acquired area, along with portions of Berks, Bedford, Cumberland, Lancaster,
and Northampton Counties were combined to form Northumberland County when
erected March 21, 1772.
Martin sold the 260 acres he warranted in 1766 to Peter Hosterman in 1778
for eight hundred pounds. Hosterman resold the property to Frederick Miller
whose descendants maintained ownership into the twentieth century. The
compiler of the "History of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys" in writing
about this tract more than a hundred years after Martin acquired it, stated:
"This valuable farm is situated three miles west of Selinsgrove on the
public road to Middleburg. As a traveler leaves Pawling Station on his way
to Selinsgrove he will behold to his left this fertile and attractive land.
When first settled it was a dense forest with sturdy oaks and lofty pines,
but through the energy and toil of the ancestors it has become a spot of
The location of the 260 acres warranted by Martin is shown on the map
compiled by Charles Fisher Snyder following. The John Cox tract which
Martin acquired is also delineated on this map.
In addition to Martin's land acquisition in 1766 there exists records of the
following land transactions involving the Treaster family in Northumberland
County prior to 1800.
On April 3, 1769 Martin, Jr. warranted three hundred acres on the north side
of Penns Creek. A caveat was entered against this survey by Jacob Albright
as detailed in records of the Land Office.
"Land Office, 16th February 1773
Jacob Albright caveats a survey of Martin Treaster, Jr. on his appl'n No.
11386 because it is moved 7 miles & laid on Land which he has a warrant for
on the waters of Penns Creek in Northumberland County.
David Kennedy, for
James Tilghman, Sec"ry
To: John Lukens, Esq., S. G.
(I withdraw this caveat & give up my pretentions to this land surveyed to
Trester. - Jacob Albright)"
In 1773 Martin, Jr. sold the warrant rights to this tract to Patrick McMahon
for twenty shillings.
On September 27, 1770 there was surveyed (although the warrant was issued to
Martin, probably senior) to Michael Troster 336 acres, described in the deed
dated May 30, 1775, when Michael sold the land to John Wyerbougher for three
hundred pounds, as located in East Buffalo Township, Northumberland County,
and abutting lands owned by John Harris after whom the city of Harrisburg is
named. A copy of the deed conveying the land to Wyerbougher is given on the
following pages. It is interesting to note that in 1781 John Wyerbougher's
(Wierbach) daughter was carried off by the Indians, probably from the farm
Both of the above mentioned tracts were located just a short distance north
of Penns Creek about a mile east of the present villages of Glen Iron and
Laurelton, Union County.
In April 1772, James Wilson made a survey of some land along Penns Creek and
in his notes stated: "This land is situate about two miles from John Lee's,
on both sides of the path that leads to Treasters." Linn in his "Annals of
Buffalo Valley", in commenting on Wilson's notes wrote: "Treasters was at
the mouth of Tuscarora Creek, on Penns, one mile above New Berlin, now
Jackson Township, Snyder County." Evidence indicated the Treaster referred
to was Michael.
Three 50 acre tracts were surveyed to Martin Treaster, probably junior, on
April 23 and June 11, 1773. The land was in Northumberland County, probably
in Penn Township.
The tax rolls of Penn Township for the year 1776 lists the following
Acres Acres Acres Horses Cattle Sheep
Taxables assessed uncultivated improved
Treaster, Jr. 200 173 31 2 2 2
Treaster 150 140 3 2 1 0
It is to be noted here that in the early tax records the total acreage which
an individual possessed was usually more than the acreage assessed. This
holds true in the tax records of Berks, Cumberland, and Northumberland Counties.
Michael Treaster sold 61 acres 22 perch in Penn Township to William Stower
(Stover) on November 3, 1791 as recorded in a copy of the deed on the
following pages. As can be determined from deed this was only a portion of
the tract he owned.
There is a record of a John Treaster warranting 400 acres in Northumberland
County, December 12, 1792.
Martin Treaster of the third generation, possibly a son of Martin, Jr.,
warranted 400 acres of mountain land in what is now the extreme eastern
portion of Mifflin County, February 25, 1794.
John Treaster of the fourth generation, who after the 1850's acquired more
than 6000 acres in eastern Armagh Township, Mifflin County (Treaster Valley)
brought 200 acres of this warrant back to Treaster family ownership.
In 1772 Martin, Sr. made application to the Court for a license to operate a
tavern in Penn Township, Northumberland County (Present day Snyder County).
This application was approved and the court records reveal that he paid a
tavern license fee of 2 pounds, 5 shillings on March 7, 1773. Apparently he
failed to keep his license current, for in the Quarter Session Docket of the
Northumberland County Court for May 1775 a true bill was found against him
for operating a tippling house. The fee paid in March may have been for the
1772. The charge of operating a tippling house is commonly found in early
court records. In the August 179? Quarter Session Docket of the
Northumberland Court more than sixty persons were indicted on this count,
including, among many other well known names of the period, that of Simon
Snyder who later became Governor of Pennsylvania.
In 1773, Martin, Sr., was appointed Supervisor of Roads for Buffalo
Township. It appears that Buffalo Township was his place of residence for
the remainder of his life. He served on the Northumberland County
"Committee of Safety" as a representative from Buffalo Township from August
1776 to February 1777. At the start of the Revolutionary War there was
established in each county a "Committee of Safety" who reported to the
central committee at Philadelphia. Their function was to handle the local
problems that arose as a result of the conflict, and to encourage and
facilitate the efforts of the separationist cause. As a member of this
committee Martin was furnished powder and shot for distribution to troops
raised in Northumberland County. The problems with which the committee
dealt while Martin was a member are detailed on the following pages taken
from the Pennsylvania Archives. Robert Robb, whose loyalty was debated
before the committee, characterized some committee members as murderers,
horse thieves, and robbers. In mentioning murderers he was no doubt
referring to William Speddy who served on the committee with Martin and
Philip Cole as representatives from Buffalo Township. Speddy was accused of
being involved in the death of Nathan Ogden during a riot in the fort at
Wyoming, on January 21, 1771. He was found "not guilty" by a jury in
Philadelphia November 14, 1771. After his acquittal he settled on Turtle
Creek, Northumberland County, near where, at a later date, Martin Treaster
(third generation) operated a sawmill.
Martin, Sr. served as constable in Buffalo Township in 1777 and 1778.
Buffalo Township at that time comprised an extensive area in what is now
Union County and parts of present day Mifflin and Centre Counties. Being
constable in this area entailed no little risk if we are to judge from a
description by G.A. Snyder quoted by Linn in his "Annals of Buffalo Valley":
"In an age and district where broils were daily occurrences.....this
region, then called by the general name of Shamokin, was in those days the
frontier .... It served as a place of refuge for all runaway and desperate
characters from the southeastern counties. The sheriff and constable seldom
ventured into the wilds on this side of the river, which acquired the
significant title of "Rascal Creek"."
In 1778 Martin, Sr. was taxed in Buffalo Township on a valuation of 442
pounds, 10 shillings, 10 pence. In 1781 he was taxed in the same township
on 300 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows. In the same year he was named as security
in Letters of Administration committed to Elizabeth Treaster, widow of
Martin, Jr. who died in 1781.
Martin, Jr. is first mentioned in the Northumberland records as a warrantee
of 300 acres in 1769. Other land transactions in which he was involved are
mentioned above. He was married to Maria Elizabeth Albright. The birth of
several of their children is found recorded in the archives of the Row
Church. Martin, Jr. apparently resided in Penn Township during his period
of residency in Northumberland County. The tax records are not entirely
clear on this matter as the tax rolls, in some instances, do not distinguish
between Martin, Sr. and Martin, Jr.. Martin, Jr. served in the "Rangers of
the Frontier" in James Bovard's Company. Martin, Jr. died in October 1781.
He left a widow, Elizabeth, and six children, Martin 3rd, the eldest,
Catherine, John, Christina, Mary, and George.
George Treaster, son of Martin, Sr., baptized August 11, 1751 at the Blue
Mountain Church in present day Upper Tulpehocken Township, Berks County,
died in 1779, and Letters of Administration were committed to the father.
He is listed as a resident of Penn Township, Northumberland County in 1778.
In that year, or early in 1779, he served with the "Rangers of the
Frontier", and payment for this service is recorded as being made to his
estate. The duration of his enlistment and the unit with which he served is
unknown. There is conflicting evidence as to whether or not George was
married. The fact that his father acted as administrator of his estate
seems to imply that no wife survived him, but this is not necessarily so.
Incomplete records at the Northumberland Court House may indicate he was
survived by three children named Martin, William, and George. No record of
his marriage or birth of the children has been found.
Martin, Sr. died in 1782 and Letters of Administration were committed to
Jacob Treaster and George Wolf, after Michael, the eldest surviving son
renounced his right to administer the estate, as noted on the following page.
|[TRASTER] Treaster Family History/5a by Norma Key <>|