TRIMBLE-L Archives

Archiver > TRIMBLE > 1997-10 > 0878349112

From: La Doris Doughty Weber <>
Subject: TRIMBLE - Izard County, AR
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 19:51:52 -0600

Hi to all interested in the Arkansas TRIMBLES.

We just returned from our little trip into Missouri and Arkansas.
Not much time in Izard County, where I was really seeking
DOUGHTY information, but did find the following on TRIMBLE.
This is all we found, however, as Vernon was antsy to get home
and feed the cows.

My hubby extracted the following on 10-22-97, at the Calico Rock,
Arkansas Public Library, from PIONEERS AND MAKERS OF ARKANSAS, by Josiah H.
Shinn:

Page 110- The Gazette noted the marriage on November 24,
1821, of LOUNELLA, daughter of Col. STUART of Hempstead
County, to WILLIAM TRIMBLE, United States District Atty.,
lived for many years at Columbus, Arkansas, but LOUNELLA
made her final residence in Texas. WILLIAM TRIMBLE came
to Arkansas from Kentucky in 1819, having been appointed
U. S. District Attorney by President Monroe.

Page 201- Crittenden said WILLIAM TRIMBLE left the state
in 1832 with about $20,000.00 in gold -- his character was above
reproach, being a better man than judge.

Comment: Can anyone identify THIS William TRIMBLE?
The only William Trimbles I have in my database are:
i. William b c1735, s/o Walter, the immigrant. I have no
additional information.
ii Walter, b c1765 [Robert; Walter the immig]. died c1820.
This Walter could have arrived in AR from KY in
1819, but later information shows he left the state
in 1832 and my information indicates he died about
1820. Is my dod info incorrect? Is this Walter the
judge???
III John Trimble, son of Robert & grandson of Walter the
immigrant, did not have a son William......or did he?
I show two sons for John and his wife Margaret
Matthews Trimble and they are James G. Finis Trimble
and John W Trimble. I show three daus for this
couple (Ann Beth - Martha, my ancestor - Eliza).
However, I show three unknown siblings, all female.
Is this correct. Could one of these "females" actually
be another son....William?
iv James Finis Trimble, son of the above John, and his
wife Phoebe Walker, had a son William, but he
wasn't born until c1830.

I have no additional William Trimbles in my database, and
none fitting the profile of the "judge". Can someone fill
in the blanks for me, please?

Page 114 - Pioneers and Makers of Arkansas, as above: Batesville
was once the state's best town. March 10, 1821 James TRIMBLE
became resident - town owes its early progressiveness (to him).

--------
THE WHITE RIVER CHRONICLES OF S.C. TURNBO.

Page 270-
5. Silas TURNBO and Allen TRIMBLE family were long time
friends. WILLIAM TRIMBLE married SALLIE COKER, settled
on White River in 1814, but died in 1817 when ALLEN [1815-1889]
was a small child. ALLEN settled above the mouth of TRIMBLE
CREEK, the location of TRIMBLE CEMETERY, Marion County,
in 1842 and later owned a claim on WHITE RIVER that became
J. C. TURNBO's in 1859. During the 1850's, ALLEN TRIMBLE's
and JAMES TURBO's children went to school together. ALLEN
and his son, WILLIAM TRIMBLE, became sources for many of
TURNBO's writings.

Page 273-
WILLIAM TRIMBLE was shot and killed on the WHITE
RIVER in 1817.

=================end of Izard ramblings------

Hope someone recognizes the Judge.

LaDoris