TUCKER-L Archives

Archiver > TUCKER > 2002-11 > 1038108981

From: "Pat Obrist" <>
Subject: Re: [TUCKER-L] Elizabeth Tucker
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:36:21 -0600

Joan, I had this on William Gerard TUCKER.
Another one of my ancestors is Thomas GERRARD, who m. 3. Rose STURMAN, widow of John TUCKER.

Descendants of William Tucker

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM2 TUCKER (CAPT-WILLIAM1) was born Bet. 1623 - 1630 in Warwick, VA (now Newport News), and died in is he a bro of George, b. 1620 Warwick, Bermuda?. He married (1) ??? ?CHANDLER. He married (2) MARY STONE, daughter of WILLIAM STONE and VERLINDA GRAVES. She was born 1650, and died Bet. 1683 - 1687 in Charles Co., MD.

Notes for WILLIAM TUCKER:

In 1755 Capt. Wm. TUCKER'S son William, and John CHANDLER'S son, Robert, were in business together.

Notes for MARY STONE:

Newman calls Mary, Madam Thomas DOYNE. (Col. VA & T. MD Rel., p. 177) I believe DAYNES and DOYNE are the same surname.

Mary Stone who married Robert Doyne. No St. Mary's County connections. (Linda Reno)

MARY STONE was born 1650 in Nanjemoy, Charles Co., MD, and died 1675 in Carrichfergus, Charles, MD. She married (1) JOHN THOMAS. She married (2) ROBERT DOYNE, son of WHARTON.

Children of MARY STONE and ROBERT DOYNE are:

i. ELIZABETH4 DOYNE, b. Abt. 1670, Of Stafford Co., VA; m. GEORGE CALVERT, Abt. 1691, St. Mary'S, MD..

4. ii. MARY DOYNE, b. Bef. 1675; d. 1774.

iii. SARAH DOYNE, b. Abt. 1675, Of Charles, MD; d. 1711, Prince George, MD.; m. WILLIAM HUTCHISON.

iv. WHARTON DOYNE, b. Abt. 1676, Prince Georges, Maryland; d. Bef. 1689.

v. VERLINDA DOYNE, b. October 17, 1676, MD.; m. (1) SAMUEL TAYLOR;

m. (2) JOHN BROWN, June 26, 1720, Prince George, MD..

vi. WILLIAM DOYNE, b. Abt. 1678, Prince Georges, Maryland; d. Bef. 1689.

vii. MARY DOYNE, b. Abt. 1680; d. 1734, Prince George, MD.; m. DAWSON.

viii. VERLINDA DOYNE, b. Abt. 1682, Prince Georges, MD; d. 1741; m. (1) SAMUEL TAYLOR; m. (2) JOHN BROWN.

ix. MARY DOYNE, b. Bet. 1683 - 1686, Prince Georges, MD; d. January 24, 1735, Prince George, MD; m. (1) EDWARD DAWSON; m. (2) NICHOLAS DAWSON,

Abt. 1704, Fendall Delight, Charles, MD.

x. ELLINOR DOYNE, b. Abt. 1684, Prince Georges, MD; d. Bef. 1689, La Plata, MD..

xi. WHARTON DOYNE.

Child of WILLIAM TUCKER and ??? ?CHANDLER is:

2. i. JOHN3 TUCKER, b. Abt. 1643, of Westmoreland Co, VA; d. May 1671, Westmoreland Co., VA.

Child of WILLIAM TUCKER and MARY STONE is:

ii. ROGER3 TUCKER.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN3 TUCKER (WILLIAM2, CAPT-WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1643 in of Westmoreland Co, VA, and died May 1671 in Westmoreland Co., VA1. He married ROSANNA STURMAN Abt. 1660, daughter of THOMAS STURMAN and ANN PORTER. She was born Abt. 1642 in Westmoreland Co., VA, and died 1713 in Westmoreland Co., VA2.

Notes for ROSANNA STURMAN:

Colonial Virginians and Their Maryland Relatives by Norma Tucker states that Rose MAY be

the dau. of Thomas Sturman and the evidence is quite compelling. The March, 1708 Westmoreland Co. Ct. ordered John WHEELER to pay 400 pounds to Rosanna GERARD, proving that Rose's name was Rosanna, there is but one Rosanna among the Westmoreland families closely associated with Westmoreland Tuckers. That was Rosanna STURMAN, whose family came from Maryland to Northumberland to Westmoreland Co. And Rose and John gave power of attorney in Northumberland Co, 7 Aug 1667, to James CLAUGHTON. Therefore, this writer hypothesizes that Rose Tucker Gerard Newton was Rosanna STURMAN, daughter of Thomas and Ann (PORTER) STURMAN. Ann STURMAN'S 1654 will named daughter Rosanna, then in England. No last name appears in the will, so whether Rosanna were...["Colonial Virginians and Their Maryland Relatives," Tucker, Norma, Clearfield , Co., Inc. 1994, p. 35.)

April 24, 1674, Mrs. Rose Gerard, widow, made a deed in consideration of a marriage contracted

>between her eldest daughter Rose and William Fitzhugh.

7/8/1709: Deposition of Rose Newton, widow and relict of John Newton, the Elder late of

Kingstone upon Hull in the Kingdom of England, master and mariner, but late of the

County of Westmoreland. She swore that William Newton of Westmoreland was the eldest

son of John Newton and Mary of Stafford Co., deceased and that John Newton was the

eldest son of John Newton whose widow she was; similar depositions were given by Thomas

Newton, age 31 and by Benjamin Newton, age 40 sons of John Newton the Elder. The sons

added that John Newton the Elder brought his son John Newton with him to VA and Benjamin

Newton said that he knew Thomas Newton who lived in Hull, father of John Newton the

Elder (Colonial Virginians and Their Maryland Relatives, Tucker).

written 1 Dec. 1712 - probated January 28, 1712 - The will of Rose Newton, widow, was proved in Westmoreland County,.

She gave her son, Thomas Newton and the rest of her lands left her by her husband, Thomas Gerrard. Another account gives a son, William, besides the children mentioned below, who married Elizabeth (???) and left six minor children. This account also states that John died unmarried and intestate.

Recorded 4 Feb. 1712

(Westmoreland Co., VA Deeds & Wills, Book 8, p. 126-127)

(Source: <> Jan. 2001

More About JOHN TUCKER and ROSANNA STURMAN:

Marriage: Abt. 1660

Children of JOHN TUCKER and ROSANNA STURMAN are:

i. JOHN4 TUCKER, b. Abt. 1661; d. Abt. 1699.

ii. SARAH TUCKER, b. Abt. 1663.

iii. ROSE TUCKER, b. Abt. 1668, Which sister m. Fitzhugh is disputed.; m. COL.-WILLIAM FITZHUGH.

Notes for ROSE TUCKER:

Archives of Maryland, Volume 0426, Page 0117

... - bly in England. IMMIGRATED: in 1694 as a free adult. RESIDED: in Kent County. MARRIED in 1697 after eloping with Rose Blakiston, daughter of John Tucker and wife Rose. She was the wife of Ebenezer Blakiston (1658-1709), nephew of Nehe- miah Blakiston (?-1693). Her sister was Sarah, who married William ...

http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/megafile/msa/speccol/sc2900/sc2908/000001/000426/html/am426--117.html 08/30/02, 14 Kb

At 09:37 AM 10/23/02, you wrote:

>Please may I view Vol. 426 Md Archives

>Pat Bishop Obrist

Thank you for contacting the Archives of Maryland Online. At this time we

are not allowing access to Volume 426. When we do allow access, it will be

Gregory Lepore

Webmaster, State of Maryland

Supervisor, Archives of Maryland Online

410-260-6425

3. iv. WILLIAM GERARD TUCKER, b. 1671.

Generation No. 3

3. WILLIAM GERARD4 TUCKER (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, CAPT-WILLIAM1) was born 1671.

Children of WILLIAM GERARD TUCKER are:

i. JOHN5 TUCKER, b. Abt. 1684, > ?Dorchester Co, MD.

ii. HENRY TUCKER, b. Abt. 1686, fl 1708 Talbot Co., MD; d. Hampshire Co., VA.

Notes for HENRY TUCKER:

Henry TUCKER was probably b. betw. 1682-1691 as he was in Talbot Co., MD in 1708, when he, John CLEMENTS, and Brigit BRYANT, witnessed the will of Thomas NOBLE. That this Henry is the same Henry, son of William Gerard TUCKER, and the same Henry who d. in Hampshire Co, VA is evidenced by the fact that proven sons of Henry TUCLER of Hampshire Co were born in Maryland, and by the fact that the name Henry did not appear among other Maryland TUCKER branches except that of Benjamin TUCKER, whose son Henry was proven to be a carpenter, not a medical doctor, as was Henry TUCKER, of Hampshire Co., VA.

Endnotes

1. Marriages & Deaths in SMC, MD 1634-1900, by Margaret K. Fresco, Ridge, MD 20680 and "Colonial Virginians and Their Maryland Relatives," Norma Tucker, 1994.

2. Rose gave a deposition on 8 July 1709 that she was 80 years old.

Pat